Monday, April 16, 2007

Literature, redefined

Stories that have something to say are no longer confined to the page. They are on the screen, in all its iterations. The big screen, the small, and the interactive, are all valid ways to touch people and convey greater ideas. I will focus on Buffy to a large extent, just because there are seven seasons to draw from, as well as enormous amounts of secondary scholarly writing. However, for the moment I am also absorbed by Babylon 5, which has a much more concentrated mythology and story to tell. I'll probably have a rant at some point about Star Wars and the epic tale that the first trilogy was, and how epic the more recent trilogy wanted to be, and how and why it failed. Eventually I may actually talk about my own epic story in TV show form too. We shall see.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Very interesting! I have a friend who shares your love for Buffy. (So much that I call him "Giles" - he would rather be Spike!)
I have found myself really absorbed in Battlestar Galactica..

D'orio Designs said...

Hi,
I do not know a thing about Buffy ao keep writing.

Donna